[Phpwm] Installing/moving Drupal to live server

Elliot Smith elliot at townx.org
Tue Jan 23 16:22:49 GMT 2007

David Goodwin wrote:

>> I have managed to use this technique before for phpBB, punBB and
>> wordpress
>> installations, although with all of the former I have had to mess
>> about with
>> various things once the site/app was moved (nearly all of them seem
>> to set
>> the sites base url somewhere in their database when you install them,
>> this
>> needs modifying as all hyperlinks are generated with it).
>>

> I don't think Drupal does this. As far as I'm aware the only things to
> check are :
>
> 1) settings.php (only contains DB stuff I think)
> 2) .htaccess - used to generate nice urls - which will defaintely
> contain your hostname
As far as I'm aware, even .htaccess doesn't contain any host-specific
information (I think). settings.php definitely doesn't (it did until
recently, which was a pain, but this is fixed now), except for the
database connection settings.

>> When integrating third party apps into a existing website do you guys
>> tend
>> to add the application to your code repository or install the files
>> separately on each server?
>
> If you're going to make any customisations to Drupal; I'd suggest you
> do/read :
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html
>
> I've had to manage large changesets on phpbb in the past, and
> following this really made my life so, so, much easier.
I agree. Get a copy of the code in your Subversion repository and make
your amendments to that. As I don't tend to make any amendments to the
Drupal core (I just add new modules), I check out a stable version of
Drupal from the Subversion repository directly onto the server. Then I
just keep that in sync with updates (svn up) on the server. The only
thing you have to do then is remember to run update.php to make sure any
database changed get applied.

Elliot