[Phpwm] [Fwd: PHP developer - lead role - read on!!]

Richard Hayes ricky at domainarena.net
Wed Jan 24 19:15:06 GMT 2007

> One of the problems I see these days is that most programmers can't see
> past
> the command set and really dont understand the fundamentals of what the
> underlying hardware is doing.

I think that's where a lot of Uni kids are going wrong when they come out of
Uni.

At uni we covered OO principles, and that was it! We certainly didn't cover
"how to store and access data in
terms of using normalised structures" (mind explaining what this is? :D),
and we did lots of software development...

But none of it translates well into real world... Our OO example was
Monopoly (game, board, square .. etc classes), which at the time made very
little sense to me (and I really wasn't convinced OO was the way forward)...
Since working for a PHP dev company, and using real world examples of OO, I
absolutely *love* it (/me has written a badass MySQL abstraction layer, and
/me thinks its mint).

Anyway, in a language like PHP (where you probably aren't always going to
know exactly what hardware it's on), do we really need to know "what the
underlying hardware is doing"? And might you even say that a language like
PHP might also slightly encourage people to use the huuuge command set? (Why
write 6 lines of code when file_get_contents() will do it for you?).

Just a few thoughts.

--Ricky