[Phpwm] [Fwd: PHP developer - lead role - read on!!]

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 10:13:26 GMT 2007

> I want to have developers that understand, how to store and access data in
> terms of using normalised structures, understand Object
> Orientation and why
> it is useful not just "I use classes" in particular abstraction,
> inheritance
> and visibility.
>
> Take this website for example.... http://www.carnetics.co.uk
>
> This is a true software application hosted on the internet which
> integrates
> multiple hardware devices in real time, has a leased line
> connection to and
> Orange network etc etc. It requires Software Engineering knowledge and not
> just a language skill. How man PHP developers have worked with or
> understand
> using logical ands to perform bit masking required to extract data from a
> raw feed.

Haha, that I know after many years ago building an MSF time clock decoder
which had no RAM whatsoever - this is when it was still very expensive - and
having to extract any data that was required directly into the alternate
register set on a Z80 via masking. I still have that bit of kit and it still
works just fine!

> The problem I have found is there are a lot of people who can create
> websites, but getting the blend of software development, creative
> flair and
> common sense has in the past proved a recruitment nightmare.
> Which is why I think this is the going rate, to get someone with a proven
> track record and not just using a language....

Absolutely!

> The biggest qualification of all is experience! As both my
> business partner
> and I only have HND's and not degrees in the subject.

One of the problems I see these days is that most programmers can't see past
the command set and really dont understand the fundamentals of what the
underlying hardware is doing.

Phil