[Phpwm] [OT]Which Linux?

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 16:16:02 BST 2007

> I've now got a spare, but very low powered, system available here which can
> be used for this, so the question is whihc flavour of Linux would be be best
> to install on it just to play with / learn a bit more.

Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Slackware....

> I've heard a lot about Linux being happy to run on an obsolete low powered
> box, so here's its chance to prove it!
>
> System spec is P1 120Mhz, 64Mb, 4Gb Hdd, 1.44Fdd, Diamond S4 video card, ISA
> Soundblaster.

That perhaps is stretching things slightly.

When we were in University (98-2002ish) I remember buying Kat a laptop
(p1 133mhz (with MMX!) and 16mb of ram). It ran Win95 quite well, but
was noticeably slower when running a similar Linux environment (i.e. X +
 Window manager etc).

Linux can run on older hardware, especially in text mode, but if you're
wanting to use it as a graphical "workstation" you'll be disappointed -
at least on hardware like the above.

I'm sure it can run, but you'll probably go to sleep while waiting for
it to do stuff.

> I was going to use it as a wifi network translation node, but the darn USB
> 2.0 port and WiFi cards I bought are PCI 2.2 and this old stonker is 2.0 and
> they won't boot in it, or more accurately it won't boot with them in it! :-)

If you're strapped for cash, have a look at 'greatit' on Ebay; they have
quite a few cheap boxes that could make ideal Linux boxes (.e.g P3
733mhz, 256mb ram, 20gb disk + 17" crt monitor - 35 quid inc. postage
(they seemed happy to ditch the monitor and give me extra ram for the
same price) ). (see
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZgreatit )

David.
- --