[Phpwm] [OT]Which Linux?

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 03:52:01 BST 2007

> On 30/07/07, Phil Beynon <phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm tempted towards the Fedora / red Hat side of things as
> thats what I use
> > on the servers. But on the other hand there's the should I
> learn something
> > new aspect.
>
> I think you would be lucky even to get through boot up on your system
> using a modern redhat based distribution, and it is not the best idea
> to learn Linux using a really old version.
>
> You said:
>
> >System spec is P1 120Mhz, 64Mb...
>
> However, in the release notes:
>
> "Fedora requires an Intel Pentium or better processor, and is
> optimized for Pentium 4 and later processors."
>
> "Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better"
> "Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB"
> "Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB"
>
> So again, your computer is 15 years old, so you need to be looking at
> distro that is optimised for low powered computers. RPM-based distros
> are do not fit this particular situation.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Zeth

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this, there's actually a few versions of
Linux there that I'd not even heard of, but I am more of a Windows person,
basically because thats my customer base for supporting things!
I shall I see be doing a bit more late night experimenting and research on
getting this one up and flying, keeps me out of trouble though!

Regards,

Phil Beynon
Sales & Operations Director

** Infolink Electronic Systems Ltd.
** S/W Birmingham's Longest Established ISV & VAR
** http://www.infolinkelectronics.co.uk
** Professional Web 2.0 Design & Advanced Hosting Platforms
** http://www.coeus-computica.co.uk
** Affordable Knowledgebase Solutions
** Contact: Sales at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
** Tel / Fax 0121 441 3558