[Phpwm] [OT]Which Linux?

Zeth Green theology at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 17:42:37 BST 2007

On 30/07/07, Phil Beynon <phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm tempted towards the Fedora / red Hat side of things as thats what I use
> on the servers. But on the other hand there's the should I learn something
> new aspect.

I think you would be lucky even to get through boot up on your system
using a modern redhat based distribution, and it is not the best idea
to learn Linux using a really old version.

You said:

>System spec is P1 120Mhz, 64Mb...

However, in the release notes:

"Fedora requires an Intel Pentium or better processor, and is
optimized for Pentium 4 and later processors."

"Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better"
"Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB"
"Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB"

So again, your computer is 15 years old, so you need to be looking at
distro that is optimised for low powered computers. RPM-based distros
are do not fit this particular situation.

Best Wishes,
Zeth