[Phpwm] Who owns your code?

alan dunn alan at dunns.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 12:57:45 BST 2007

The answer lies in the contract between you and the client
............... You did agree a contract at the outset didn't you?

If there is no contract then I think you could argue that the
intellectual property is yours. Like the taker of  a photograph owns the
copyright even if they are commissioned and paid by someone else to take
the photograph.

But the advice has to be - get an agreed signed contract even when you
are doing work to help a 'friend' out.
Perhaps we could come up with a template contract which might be of
value to the group members?
alan dunn

joseph jabbar wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Just wondering where people stand on php code ownership.
>

> Specifically, if you've created a bespoke site for a client then do they own
> the code or do you?  If they then want to change the site at a future date
> and they choose to use a different developer to modify your code can they?
>

> --
>
> Joseph Jabbar
>
> TIC, Birmingham

DISCLAIMER:

This document originates from within Dunns Imaging Group Limited.
This message, together with any associated files, is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may
constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient of
this communication you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
copying or distribution of this message, or of any files associated with
this message, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us at once.

Dunns Imaging Group Ltd.
Registered Office: Chester Road Cradley Heath West Midlands B64 6AA.
Tel: 01384 564770
Registered in England 598527.