[Phpwm] Opportunity to teach your PHP knowledge to me

Simon Ferre simon.ferre at onetwodo.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 21:33:46 GMT 2007

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: phpwm-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
-> [mailto:phpwm-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk]On Behalf Of Phil Beynon
-> Sent: 25 February 2007 03:29
-> To: West Midlands PHP User Group
-> Subject: RE: [Phpwm] Opportunity to teach your PHP knowledge to me
->
-> > > My first question is, do any of you have real-world experience
-> > of very busy
-> > > websites written in the aforementioned systems, and would MYSQL
-> > hold up to
-> > > the possibility of thousands of hits a day.
-> >
-> >
-> > Yes; see various very busy sites - e.g. Slashdot and Digg.com
-> > (Slashdot uses Perl / MySQL, while Digg uses PHP/MySQL (I think)).
-> >
-> > > If not, I would have to look at
-> > > using something like Oracle from the outset in order to save time and
-> > > problems later on.
-> > >
-> >
-> > There would be no need; unless you need functionality only Oracle can
-> > provide. If you find MySQL does not offer enough functionality for you,
-> > check out PostgreSQL. If PostgreSQL doesn't suffice then check out e.g.
-> > Oracle.
-> >
-> > I'd suggest you avoid over optimising your site from the beginning, as
-> > it can be hard to spot bottlenecks in advance. Once you have a working
-> > site, then start to optimise it using e.g. apc, memcached, tweaked
-> > Apache settings, tweaked MySQL settings etc.
-> >
-> > > Secondly, I feel that while I could write my own site, I
-> might not have
-> > > enough real-world experience of writing PHP code to be able
-> to think of
-> > > every scenario at the outset.  I wonder then if one of you PHP guru's
-> > > wouldn't mind me becoming your apprentice (for want of a better
-> > word) where
-> > > I could be involved in the writing of some PHP code with the goal of
-> > > strengthening my skills, or, if it was far above my level of
-> experience,
-> > > would someone be willing to help by writing the site (with
-> me assisting
-> > > where I can as I want to learn as I go along).  Of course money
-> > would be an
-> > > incentive (how much I don't know as we were told today that our
-> > site might
-> > > be 20 man-days of coding).
-> >
-> > I'm sure there are plenty of people on this list who could provide this
-> > help (myself included).
-> >

I would have thought so, but the replies haven't been coming in thick and
fast :-(

Wonder why?

Simon

-> > >
-> > > Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this, along with
-> > information on
-> > > what the going rate is these days for a PHP/MySQL Developer.
-> >
-> > As far as I can tell it varies widely - it depends on what attributes
-> > and experience you are seeking.
-> >
-> > Thanks,
-> > David.
->
-> There's 86,400 seconds in a day - if you got 8500 hits a day in
-> the main 12
-> hours of the day (assuming its not a global site here) thats only one hit
-> every 5 seconds. Unless it was doing something really major with
-> the HDD or
-> was very memory intensive I'd not be too bothered about it. :-)
-> One way of keeping things running cool is to ensure any
-> variables and search
-> results that are finished with are unset() from memory.
-> A lot of it will depend on exactly what you are intending
-> though, I wrote a
-> concentric adjacent postcode mapping system for a customer's site which
-> could really nail a slower server.
->
-> Phil
->