[Phpwm] Opportunity to teach your PHP knowledge to me

Dave Holmes Dave at neteffekt.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 22:34:54 GMT 2007

Simon,

To be honest reading between the lines there are a lot of professionals on
the list and in our industry we sell our time and our knowledge, which by
it's very nature is a finite commodity and
therefore we need to ensure our time is used wisely and potential revenue
maximised.

In the immortal words of del boy, time is money Rodney....

Imparting gems of wisdom on a mailing list is one thing effectively training
up a junior with all that entails is another kettle of fish and IMO a major
ask, which could account for the low level of response.

Not sure why you would class a thousand hits a day a very busy site we have
MySQL systems capable of supporting that volume measured in minutes
especially when we are tracking high volume email campaigns for our media
clients, as Phil points out what you indicate is very low volume usage which
could be run in low end shared server space.

If you are looking at Oracle they are trying very hard to get into the SME
market at the moment with good deals on the entry level packages, in fact
the SME team are based in Blyth valley just of the M42. So it might be worth
a visit, just be aware they may try to sell you a fiber optic san to store
the contents of a 1MB memory stick while your there!

Dave