[Phpwm] Load Balancing and redundancy

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 13:08:21 GMT 2007

Mike Tipping wrote:
> I've currently got a number of projects on the go that are going to exceed
> the capacity of a single server. These are fairly dynamic, session based
> sites hosted on LAMP servers.
>
> Does anyone have any experience or advice on load balancing and adding
> redundancy to apache websites?
>
> Currently I'm looked at:
>
> * Balance - which seems too simple to be true
>
> * Virtual Linux Server - Heck of a lot more complicated but more powerful.
>
> Any thoughts on these as solutions or suggestions on alternatives?

If you store the sessions in a database, and write custom session
handler functions, you could just use DNS round-robin....

e.g.
http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.session-set-save-handler.php

I've not heard of Balance before - I presume you mean :
http://www.inlab.de/balance.html ?

I'd opt for LVS

David