[Phpwm] Security Feature

Aypok aypok at aypok.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 15:48:27 GMT 2007

Hi,

> I did come across a good idea a year or so ago where a user would click
> on different spots on an large-ish image, and where the clicks occurred
> was used as a means of authentication.
> e.g click on 5 different places on a picture of a street like on a car,
> some blonde's head, a telegraph pole etc etc... and the combination
> becomes unique (as you're not likely to pick the same spots as someone
> else). It probably had a +/- 5 pixel boundary around where you had
> clicked to allow you to get your password right in the future ;)
> (I can't remember the url of the site now)

NeoPets (www.neopets.com) uses a similar method as an anti-bot measure.

They take one of a dozen or so background images they have, set the
colour/brightness levels to a random (within a limited range) value,
then randomly place a randomly chosen NeoPet character on the image
(which also has its colour/brightness randomised, as well as its
orientation).

They sometimes also throw in other randomly placed objects - such as
trees, treasure chests, etc.

You then have to click the NeoPet character to get access.

It'd be quite simple to do with PHP's GD library - and would be more
bot-proof than a standard captcha (one would assume).

Aypok...

--
"'Bastardman!' The Chief cries as we slip into a parking space outside
the station with the grace and ease of a car accident. Which in fact it