[Phpwm] tag clouds

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 12:00:56 BST 2007

> > So I pretty much understand the concept, how the CSS works, how
> you derive
> > the words from the database, how you make the actual word cloud
> for search
> > engines and how it intergrates with the searching functionality
> to present
> > the pages with those words to the s/e.
>
> I didn't realise search engine's understood tag clounds -

Yeah thats why you use different size fonts, Hx tags etc as the search
engines do traditionally rank something thats in say an <h1> higher than a
<h6> etc.
Thats a fairly standard SEO technique.

>  I'd just
> assumed they were a visual guide to the content of the website.

I've seen pages with them on, and they look utterly crap :-)
I don't think they impart anything useful to the human reader at all.

> > But where the heck on the site do you actually put it?
> > Are search engines looking for an unlinked root page called
> tagcloud.html or
> > something similar, along the lines of robots.txt?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.

This is what I'm starting to think - I'm wondering if in fact they are one
of these things that has run into an evolutionary cul-de-sac in that they
are interesting from a statistical and expressional viewpoint but stuff all
good for anything else.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:03