[Phpwm] LGA s/w

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 12:15:41 BST 2007

> > On the other hand I've been trying to get a choice of two (supposedly
> > supported) wifi cards installed on OpenSuSE 10.2, so far to no avail
> > whatsoever - those would have taken about 5 secs each to get
> working on XP,
> > so really I'm not all that impressed by that either right now.
> > It seems to give me a GUI then expect me to everything on a
> command line,
> > why?
>
> Hardware is generally a little sorepoint under linux. Thankfully I never
> see it - I think this is because I'm slightly careful about what I buy,
> so everything /just works/.

This _should_ work.
On Windows I have a nice little button that says 'have disk' when it finds
some hardware it cant cope with, I can't see why Linux can't have that -
because until it does the average "Doris in the office" type user simply
wont accept it, regardless of how great it is technically.

> If you're buying new stuff, I'd suggest you check out the linux
> emporium, as they'll guarantee the cards they sell etc will work under
> Linux.

Ditto, one of the devices is a bit specific in that its an Edimax USB wifi
card with a detachable antenna (there's only about three of these available
from different manufacturers) - but it does have a chipset thats supported.
For what I'm playing with I simply can't use a PCI or PCMCIA card with 15m
of coax between it an the antenna.

> I've heard of many people having totally different hardware experiences
> - - where it /just works/ with linux, but totally fails (or is a right
> pain) under Windows... so I think it's a bit of give and take really

I didnt mention it decided to lie to me and say it would happily resize the
XP partition down to 40Gb during the install when in actual fact it
completely overwrote it, did I!

> David.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:03