[Phpwm] LGA s/w

Peter Measham pmeasham at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:55:34 BST 2007

> This _should_ work.
> On Windows I have a nice little button that says 'have disk' when it finds
> some hardware it cant cope with, I can't see why Linux can't have that -
> because until it does the average "Doris in the office" type user simply
> wont accept it, regardless of how great it is technically.

A few problems this:
Has the hardware maker bothered to make a Linux driver ?
Does the driver work well ?
Is a closed source driver going to be harder to support or limit a users
freedoms ?

Ubuntu have made some headway with this on there last release with their
'Ubuntu Restricted Drivers Manager', see:

http://www.michaellarabel.com/?k=blog&i=114

Plus I think that the windows hardware wizard would also confuse alot of users.

> I didnt mention it decided to lie to me and say it would happily resize the
> XP partition down to 40Gb during the install when in actual fact it
> completely overwrote it, did I!

Would have been nice if Microsoft had released a spec for ntfs,
instead the community
had to spend a few years reverse engineering it. But bugs will still
happen, the best thing
you can do is bug report.

Peter