[Phpwm] interesting

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 08:09:36 GMT 2007

This is interesting........

On my showcase type sites the short description of a group of products can
get used in a URL as well as on the page. Search engines quite like this so
I'm happy doing it. Its all properly urlencoded etc.
There's nothing really to stop the user ending the description with a full
stop.

However - and I'm not sure if this is a bug in MSN Messenger or something
I'm missing - if a URL gets pasted into a chat window in MSN Messenger which
ends in a full stop this full stop then gets dropped from the clickable part
of the URL.
Since I comparison validate the URL against the database prior to moving on,
to ensure its not just an out of date cached link, it triggers the failed
link routine.
I've not actually had a customer report this - I found it myself last night
so its just gone in the "next update" book, but it could be one to watch
for!

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
09:28