[Phpwm] SOAP/XMLRPC/ Web services question

Jon Spriggs jon at spriggs.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 08:10:09 BST 2008

Tim Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, David Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I'm reading a Packt book which covers SOAP/XMLRPC, and it's briefly
>> mentioned using headers, but not in _any_ detail (there was about 20
>> words on it)... so, are headers part of the SOAP protocol, and
>> effectively what I'm trying to achieve with cookies? (i.e. are using
>> them the real solution to my problem?)
>
>> From my experience so far, SOAP requests are a bit like HTML pages, they
> have a header and a main body, eg :
>
> <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://myserver.com/soap/envelope/"
> xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://myserver.com/soap/encoding/"
>    <SOAP-ENV:Header>
>       <headerwrapper xmlns:m="http://myserver.com/">
>           <myHeader>
>             <session-id>SOAP_8304958908908901238954819235</session-id>
>           </headerwrapper>
>       </headerWrapper>
>    </SOAP-ENV:Header>
>    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
>       <functionWrapper xmlns:m="http://myserver.com/">
>           <data>
>               <stuff>Some information I wish to be processed !</stuff>
>           </data>
>       </functionWrapper>
>    </SOAP-ENV:Body>
> </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>
>

>> The thing that puts me off SOAP is the WSDL file definition/creation.
>
> Pass, i've not had to write one.
>
> Tim W

Dave,

If you're planning on using the NuSoap library, Scott Nichol (who seems
to be the main developer of the library) is extremely responsive to
questions about these sorts of things... I think he replies to just
about every e-mail on the nusoap-users list.

Now, if the question somehow happened to be about another library, (but
you didn't mention it) I'm sure he'd still answer ;)

Jon