[Phpwm] Next Meeting - The Bull, Birmingham; Tuesday 8th July 7:30pm

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 16:16:27 BST 2008

> David,
>
> So far I have not seen any replies to your messages advertising the
> PHPWM meeting on this coming Tuesday.  I am intending to come along to
> the Bull as for once the venue is within public transport range of North
> Birmingham!

Hi Peter (and list),

That's probably because I didn't include an explicit "List" thing.

I'll be there, and I think Sam and Peter will be too. I
think Paul will be (considering he works nearby), but can't remember if he's
on holiday this week or not. Kat & Rowan won't be however.

> I don't expect I will understand much of your presentation but I hope I
> can pick the brains of the assembled experts to get the wireless
> networking going on my new Dell laptop running Kubuntu, if that is not
> being too cheeky.

<nutshell>
XMLRPC & SOAP are ways of executing functions/routines/methods where
the actual work takes place on a remote server, but it's transparent
to you (the caller). I'll illustrate how to do this in PHP, with
examples from the Zend Framework (Zend_XmlRpc) and using the native
SOAP extension.
I'll cover some of the design/implementation decisions we made.

Finally, I'll show anyone who uses Vim how to use xdebug with PHP.
This allows for an interactive debugging of your script - so should
save you from having to do 'var_dump($_POST);' like things to figure
out what's going on, as you can 'dump' variables, follow the code
execution path and suchlike.
</nutshell>

You're welcome to bring your laptop; however,. if it's running the
latest version of [k]ubuntu and not working, there's likely to be
little I can do