[Phpwm] OT Database Schema Diagram Software

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 12:32:20 UTC 2008

Andy Cowan wrote:
> Embarcadero ER/Studio is very good, but totally over the top for most people.
>
> SQLyog enterprise has a basic schema editor, whilst doing a lot of other stuff and being inexpensive.
>
> MySQL workbench is very good.
>
> MySQL Maestro is probably the best all-rounder I've used.
>
> None work on OSX however, I'm still looking for a good schema designer for the Mac. :-(

Of cause if you have not been pulled into the MySQL hype these don't help anyway.
I use Eclipse for probably 95% of development work. Transparent on Windows and
Linux, and I think it runs fine on OSX. There are a number of SQL plugins that
give good results. The Clay packages WAS ideal, and is still available, but is
not generally available outside Japan which is a shame (comes top looking for
'eclipse sql modelling tool' on Google ;) ). There are other modelling tools
that do the job, I'm running SQL Explorer at the moment but that does not go
as far as modelling. http://wiki.eclipse.org/Data_Tools_Platform_Project is
the official support area.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL