[Phpwm] project deployment strategy

Kevin Portman developerkev at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 21 12:56:46 UTC 2009

Hi All

I'd like to say I've found the mailing list extremely useful over the
last few months. Information and views of those that contribute have
helped greatly in expanding my knowledge surrounding PHP and web
development.

To the question - we're currently looking in to a project deployment
strategy and would like to hear what everyone else thinks on this
subject.

We have a local development server (with CentOS and SVN), and a remote
hosting server (linux with plesk) which will be used for our
test/prototype and live sites. We're looking for a robust method of
getting a particular version of a project from SVN to the test/live
sites without going through the manual export (via tortoiseSVN) and
upload via ftp process.

Ideally we'd like to be able to go directly from SVN to the test/live
sites and have SVN handle the process, enabling us to confidently say
which version of the project is on the test and live sites. For
security, we were hoping to 'push' the transfer from the development
server to the remote server.

Along with this, we'd need to consider tracking MySQL database changes
(changes to the schema and static data, not user generated data). Any
ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any input on this topic.

Kev