No subject

Wed Jul 15 11:13:46 UTC 2009

ileage may of course vary, but I found it very bloated, and the varying qua=
lity is really a problem within the main codebase, not just within extensio=
ns. That may have changed in the 2 years since the last time I played with =
it, however.<br>

 writing &quot;enterprise&quot; software, I&#39;ve found that clients like =
ebruary 2010 13:38, Ian Munday <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ian.=

r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">After years of ma=
intaining an in-house framework, I moved our important applications to the =
Zend Framework last year. =A0Pretty much all that had been built into our i=
n-house framework could be replaced with Zend Framework equivalents, the re=
sult being that we got a more robust and better tested base from which to b=
uild our applications. =A0I can&#39;t see why people (in small to medium en=
terprises at least) would persist with maintaining in-house frameworks in t=
he medium / long term given the quality of those that are already available=
 and the ROI you can gain by using them.<br>

 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://framework.zend.com/" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://framework.zend.com/</a><br>
Having said all that, I&#39;ve found Joomla to be very capable and able to =
accommodate virtually all our website needs over the last couple of years. =
=A0(Note I say websites rather than web applications.)<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://www.joomla.org/" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/www.joomla.org/</a><br>
Joomla might not have the same level of visual polish in the back-end inter=
face that Wordpress has, but ultimately I think it is more capable. =A0It a=
lso uses templates and has a large number of extensions available, albeit o=
f varying quality. =A0Or you can write your own (although the how-to isn&#3=
9;t brilliantly documented). =A0Some of the best examples of templates and =
extensions that can be used with Joomla are at the YOOtheme site:<br>

 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://www.yootheme.com/" target=3D"_blank">http=
://www.yootheme.com/</a><br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://tools.yootheme.com/" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://tools.yootheme.com/</a><br>
Regards,<br>
Ian<br>
On 2 Feb 2010, at 12:03, Pete Graham wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Wordpress can be very useful for some sites although it does have it&#=
39;s<br>
&gt; limitations. It has many useful plugins, I particularly like the<br>
&gt; Flutter Custom Content Types plugin <a href=3D"http://flutter.freshout=
.us/" target=3D"_blank">http://flutter.freshout.us/</a> (which<br>
&gt; is similar to CCK in Drupal). I used it to build this site<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.outsider.tv" target=3D"_blank">http://www.outsid=
er.tv</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;d recommend CakePHP for more complex sites, I&#39;ve been using =
it<br>
&gt; recently and have been very impressed with it.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Pete<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 2 February 2010 11:53, Stephen Orr &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:steve at step=
henorr.co.uk">steve at stephenorr.co.uk</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; I&#39;ve found that Wordpress is a pretty good base for most websi=
tes. Yeah,<br>
&gt;&gt; it&#39;s not as powerful as a full framework, since you&#39;re not=
 writing it from<br>
&gt;&gt; the ground up - but it&#39;s a pretty damned effective content man=
agement system<br>
&gt;&gt; as well as a blog, once you understand what you can do in relation=
 to<br>
&gt;&gt; categories and tags etc. I&#39;ve used it for that in the past, an=
d I&#39;ve wished<br>
&gt;&gt; on other projects where I built a bespoke system that I _had_ used=
 Wordpress<br>
&gt;&gt; after all.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; A full framework will definitely be something to learn for the fut=
ure, but<br>
&gt;&gt; for just a &quot;website&quot; then probably over-the-top.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Steve<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On 2 February 2010 11:50, Mo Awkati &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mawkati@=
yahoo.co.uk">mawkati at yahoo.co.uk</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =91Web design=92 is a very big field to handle entirely wi=
th Wordpress.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If your building a relatively static website then no Wordp=
ress is not the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; way to go. HTML, CSS, JS and a bit of PHP for any dynamic =
elements will be a<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; lot easier. You=92ll need to know &gt;these to build Wordp=
ress templates too but<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; having Wordpress in the way complicates it.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If your building a CMS controlled site with a relatively s=
tatic structure<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; across the site then yes wordpress is good.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If you want a Blog then wordpress is great.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Cheers<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Mike<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Hi Mike<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; My future endeavours will most certainly be dynamic websites, =
more user<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; interactive and includes all sorts of media. However, my Vicar=
 ( I do our<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; church website) quite likes the idea of a blog, that is what p=
rompted my<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; question; certainly will use WordPress for the blog.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Mo<br>
wm.org</a><br>
Twitter : <a href=3D"http://www.twitter.com/phpwm" target=3D"_blank">http:/=