[Phpwm] wysiwig editor

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 14:14:18 UTC 2009

> > Now THAT’s a GREAT idea!!! But why stop at Word, couldn’t we
> just kidnap
> > Bill Gates at age 6 months?
>
> If only ...
>
> But the whole current fiasco is down to two simple mistakes IBM made
> when designing the PC and not really expecting it to work. Using the
> cheapest  processor that was available because no one else would use it,
> and using a software house that did not even HAVE software.
>
> Just think what we would have today if a version of linux had been used
> on any of the 32 bit machines available at the time? PC's were not cheap
> ( I paid £5500 for an IBM AT! ) so a few extra pounds on something
> decent would not have broken the bank :(
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

The problem is that with the same time machine you end up visiting a time
where every single machine has its own operating system, own disk format,
own applications, none of which port easily from one platform to another.
Microsoft might not be to everyones tastes, but at least the original badly
designed PC did something due to IBMs leverage - it set a standard.
The Apple II and IIe at the time was debatably a better machine, but
suffered from Apple's protectionism in not allowing far eastern clones.