[Phpwm] wysiwig editor

Tim Williams T.M.Williams at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 10:58:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, David Goodwin wrote:

> Yes, Rob also spoke to the Microsoft guys, and it did sound very much
> like you could only e.g. use the new SQLServer driver, if you're running
> PHP on windows....

How many non-windows PHP systems are likely to want to connect to
SQLServer ? I have yet to come accross an outfit using SQLServer with
linux webservers, though I suppose a few do exist. I can't see that this
is likely to disadvantage many people.

On a more general front, I think there is an element of comercial reality
here. M$ would prefer you to be using .NET, but they have recognised that
PHP is now to big to ignore and that if it dosn't run well on the M$
software stack, it's going to drive Linux, mysql/postgres and everything
else into previously M$ only shops which want to use PHP based software.

M$'s interest in PHP seemed to start up about the same time they got
interested in Moodle, M$ paid for the development of the database
abstraction layer in Moodle, which enabled Moodle to operate with any DB,
rather just MySQL (and to a lesser extent postgres). This came about the
same time that M$ put time and money into improving PHP performance on
IIS. I've noticed that most of the colleges that have been running Moodle
for a few years are on Apache/MySQL, while many of the more recent
adoptees are on IIS/SQLServer, so Moodle was doing a very good job of
driving opensource tools into colleges when there was only one viable
server choice. IIS/SQLServer is still an inferior platform for Moodle, but
it now seems to be 'good enough' to persuade many M$ only shops that there
is no need to bring in a 'foreign' operating system to run the moodle
server.

Tim W

--
Tim Williams BSc MSc MBCS - Euromotor Autotrain
Web : http://www.autotrain.org