[Phpwm] Next Meeting: Caching for Performance - Rob Allen - May 12th

Phil Burrows phil at tektlab.co.uk
Thu May 7 09:16:48 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I am happy for the venue to be Birmingham Friends of the Earth, we have
enough room for up to 16 and free wifi access, we are right next to Moor St
Station and 5 mins from New Street, there is a great cafe in the building if
anybody wants food and the best (admittedly in my opinion) pub in Brum is
round the corner (the Anchor).
I am a complete amateur when it comes to caching, so I am happy for it to be
used for free.
Cheers
Phil

2009/5/7 Dave Holmes <dave at neteffekt.co.uk>

> Hi All,
>
> About time I showed my face at a meeting to put some faces to names, except
> Alex, Mike and Darren I already know. The subject is particularly important
> to me and something we are actively looking to improve and I may have other
> related advice I can chip in with as we have two pretty complex web apps
> now...
>
> Let me know when you decide on a venue..  A pint always goes down well ;)
>
> Dave
>

> David Goodwin wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The next meeting will be a technical talk by Rob Allen - 'Caching for
> Performance'
>
> Rob will be giving this talk at the Dutch PHP conference -
> see http://phpconference.nl/schedule/talks#DPC0906
>

> Blurb:A
>
> "More, now than ever, websites need fast response times and be able to
> cope under load. As web pages contain more and more dynamically
> generated content, the challenge is on for PHP developers to develop
> efficient caching solutions. This presentation will focus on using
> caching techniques that can be used in a PHP project to increase the
> performance of a web site. We will look at a variety of caching
> techniques, showing practical implementations and before and after
> statistics. We will also cover the cache storage options available and
> when you might use one over another. We will also address how to get
> browsers to cache content for us using HTTP headers."
>
> Venue: TBC (Suggestions welcome)
>         - Bromsgrove (Pale Purple's office, would probably have
>           trouble fitting more than 8-12, I think)
>         - Publike venue?
>         - Senokian?
>         - Somewhere else in Birmingham?
>
> Date: Tuesday 12th May 2009, 19:30
>
> Thanks
> David.

Phil Burrows

Call for a strong Climate Change Bill at
www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/climate/press_for_change/email_mp/index.html

Address:
47 Brooklands Drive
Kings Heath