[Phpwm] Web application documentation - write once / output multiple formats

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri May 29 09:50:43 UTC 2009

Ian Munday wrote:
> Slightly off-topic perhaps, but I'm wondering how people provide /
> deliver document for their applications?
>
> Historically, I've manually created HTML pages that I bring together
> with a simple table of contents (TOC) and which then load in a pop-up
> window.  I can link to specific pages from within my application to
> make it 'context-sensitive'.  A real requirement going forward is to
> improve the way help documentation is delivered in HTML (i.e. make it
> searchable), and also to provide multiple formats.  I also want a
> write-once, but output in multiple formats solution.  (Longer term I'm
> also thinking multiple languages - clearly each language will need to
> be written.)
>
> The formats that have been identified as most useful / relevant to the
> type of applications I'm involved in are:
>
>    *  HTML - searchable and with a tree-like TOC - a good example is http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.html?content=WSF3A57C22-0CDF-4401-9C10-2D0B3B7C7E40.html
>    *  PDF
>    *  CHM
>
> Has anyone found a good solution to this problem?

Take a look at http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=doc
http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=doc#docmatrix has all
the docs on how to set things up ...

Personally I just work with wiki pages and output them as pdf where
required, and since the applications are now all PHP, you simply open
the help in a pop-up window ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL