[Phpwm] SVN training

Dave Brotherstone davegb at pobox.com
Fri Apr 16 16:18:39 UTC 2010

> > I've just been having a play about with Git (I've signed up for a
> > Github account) this afternoon. Does any one know a good tutorial for
> > getting to grips with it quickly? I'm very familiar with svn but am a
>
> complete git n00b!

For me, the best resource is by far progit.org/book (it's a physical book
too, but you can read it all online).
"The Git Parable" is worth a read to get the jist, and "Git from the Bottom
Up" is worthwhile if you're interested in what's going on underneath - it
helped me understand it a bit better, but it's not to everyones tastes.  The
other standard "recommended resource" is "Git for Computer Scientists", but
I've not read that so can't comment.

> > On 16 April 2010 16:03, Stephen Orr <steve at stephenorr.co.uk> wrote:
> >> As usual, it's the Windows support we're lacking. Which is why I'm also
> >> considering a push for Mercurial!

That's not really true any more - TortoiseGit is just as good (if not
better) than TortoiseSVN, and for command line lovers gitbash on windows
works flawlessly and is much better than svn.exe under ol' faithful cmd.exe.

I've heard good things about GitExtensions too, which is cross-platform, but
not used it myself (I use TortoiseGit most of the time, otherwise the
git-bash).

Dave.