[Phpwm] [OT] Youtube for video upload/backend for Website

Pete Graham petegraham1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 14:37:31 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm starting work on a brands website that will let registered users upload
videos. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel so was planning to use Youtube
as a backend to handle the upload and storage. Ideally the uploaded video
will go to the brands Youtube channel (I don't want users to have to need to
log-in to Youtube and the client wants to have ownership of the videos).

I'd seen sites like Speech Breaker (bit over a year old now)
http://www.speechbreaker.co.uk/ which were publishing videos to one Youtube
channel (which appeared to be using the PHP API). However from reading up on
Youtube API documentation and terms & conditions it seems somewhat unclear
if this is allowed anymore.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm currently researching
alternatives, I'd prefer to use a existing video website API (can Google
Video or Vimeo handle this?). Rolling our own solution is a possibility but
we don't control the hosting environment so installation of custom video
conversation software (FFMPEG, etc) could be problematic.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
pxg