[Phpwm] WordPress

Ian Munday ian.munday at illumen.co.uk
Tue Feb 2 13:38:15 UTC 2010

After years of maintaining an in-house framework, I moved our important applications to the Zend Framework last year.  Pretty much all that had been built into our in-house framework could be replaced with Zend Framework equivalents, the result being that we got a more robust and better tested base from which to build our applications.  I can't see why people (in small to medium enterprises at least) would persist with maintaining in-house frameworks in the medium / long term given the quality of those that are already available and the ROI you can gain by using them.

	http://framework.zend.com/

Having said all that, I've found Joomla to be very capable and able to accommodate virtually all our website needs over the last couple of years.  (Note I say websites rather than web applications.)

	http://www.joomla.org/

Joomla might not have the same level of visual polish in the back-end interface that Wordpress has, but ultimately I think it is more capable.  It also uses templates and has a large number of extensions available, albeit of varying quality.  Or you can write your own (although the how-to isn't brilliantly documented).  Some of the best examples of templates and extensions that can be used with Joomla are at the YOOtheme site:

	http://www.yootheme.com/
	http://tools.yootheme.com/

Regards,

Ian