[Phpwm] WordPress

Ian Munday ian.munday at illumen.co.uk
Tue Feb 2 14:27:30 UTC 2010

On 2 Feb 2010, at 14:09, Stephen Orr wrote:

> From looking at Joomla previously, I've got to say I hated it... your mileage may of course vary, but I found it very bloated, and the varying quality is really a problem within the main codebase, not just within extensions. That may have changed in the 2 years since the last time I played with it, however.

Joomla 1.5 was certainly a great improvement over Joomla 1.0.  It could certainly be argued that it's boated if all you want is a blog and a few other articles - I'm sure there are sites for which WordPress is definitely a better option.  The 'which decision' has to also take into account the level of personal responsibility (e.g. content updates) the client wants to take on themselves; WordPress does have the 'nicer' back-end for your average user.

We tend to steer clients to build their website in phases; we like to see a number of small milestones to sign-off against versus one large milestone.  Clients often change their minds as development picks up, and some decisions are best made with concrete information gained once the site has gone live (e.g. from analytics).  We've found Joomla copes with this 'scalability of previously unknown requirements' pretty well.

Regards,

Ian