[Phpwm] Where did all the PHP developers go?

Martin Meredith martin.meredith at mobilefun.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 15:54:16 UTC 2010

If you actually look @ the Histogram for the West Midlands (
http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/west%20midlands/php.do) it seems that most
of the jobs are being offered in the £20k-£25k range, with the £30k-£35k
range being the lowest of the "top 4"...  with the average salary in
Birmingham being £35k.  I'd not reccomend Coventry! the average there is
£22.5k.

Neither, however, seem representative of the jobs I've seen on offer...
which tend towards the lower end of th £20-30k range.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Richard Cunningham <
richard at richardcunningham.co.uk> wrote:

> Really there seem to a lot of jobs for "upto £30k" and very little
> interest. That one especially seemed to be asking  for rather a lot.
>
> Maybe it's an age thing. Are the University students learning PHP
> nowadays? on their courses they often learn Java or C# and in their own
> time Python and Ruby are cool, so do any of them learn PHP?
>
> It looks like the *average* salary for someone doing PHP is £30k and if
> you look at the "salary histogram" a lot of people already earn at least
> £25k doing PHP, so maybe £30k isn't enough of a jump in this economic
> climate: http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/php.do
>
> Mike Tipping wrote:
> > Although cost cutting does mean wages won't go up.
> >
> > Maybe it's just that in an unstable climate if you have a job you don't
> jump
> > ship unless your going to get more security or a much better salary, and
> > I've not seen a lot of great salaries being offered.
> >
> > That one earlier today for a graduate PHP dev, linux admin, Android
> > developer, trainer... All for upto 30K! If that person exists you'll need
> > offer than alot more than that.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mike
> >

> > On 23/3/10 13:17, "Tim Williams" <T.M.Williams at cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> >

> >> My guess is that the recession has pushed people towards technology
> >> choices which are perceived to be cheaper. Assuming you are still in
> >> buisness, you are still going to have work that needs to be done but
> less
> >> money to do it with. PHP is probably seen as a cheap technology, so we
> >> as PHP developers benefit, while the up market options suffer. It's the
> >> Aldi/Lidl effect.
> >>
> >> Tim W

Regards,
Martin "Mez" Meredith