[Phpwm] [OT] Using git with source files outside project folder tree

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 14:17:38 UTC 2010

Peter Crouch wrote:

> I know this is off topic but git has been mentioned on this list before
> and I would like to tap into your experience.
>
> I have looked at a number of git-related resources on the Web but not
> been able to find an answer to my question.
>

> I have my development folder tree set up as follows:
>
> top level folder
> |
> |- common files
> |
> |- project group A
>     |- project A1
>     |- project A2
>     |- ...
> |
> |- project group B
>     |- ...
> |
> |- project group C
>     |- ...
>
> That is there are common files used across all my projects whose
> relative path from any given project folder is ../../common files.
>
> My question is: Will git allow such files to be included in its
> repository, presumably stored in project group A/project A1/.git, for
> example?
>
> Thanks for any information you can give me.

Sub-repos are an area where both git and hg are still playing catch up, but this
is the area you need to look up. You link a 'common' subrepo to each project.
The problem is that some of the tools do not yet fully support this activity or
simply have to be handled manually. Moving CVS projects over has a major problem
when they are well structured module based projects. Neither git nor hg can
actually handle them and you end up with with perhaps hundreds of repos which
can't easily be joined back together currently.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL