[Phpwm] Broadband recomendations

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 10:05:42 UTC 2011

Tim Cumming wrote:
> I presume that by "Available to us small exchange plebs" Mike means high speed broadband is not available on his exchange. We are based in a rural location, our exchange is a little over a mile away and is situated in a small village, therefore our maximum speed rate is under 2Mb, but with Spitfire it has been pretty stable (after a little tinkering by Spitfire, which is why I say their support is pretty good).
Ditto here
1.6km of cable between here and the exchange and more than enough bandwidth for
7.5Mb most of the time. Unless you are capped.
Give me a couple more months and I'll know what the second line is capable of...
the INITIAL line test which Sky still report on their page is 'upto' 3Mb but you
can't do that if the line is capped at 2Mb?

> I would rather stick pins in my eyes than go with BT as a BB provider!!
But they are providing your BB ... you are just paying someone else who makes a
cut by not providing the full bandwidth ... as I have now proven with my Sky
connection. Is you modem saying 8Mb service or 2Mb?
http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ will tell you what your 'configured download
throughput' is, and your Max Achievable Speed. If your provider is only paying
BT for a 2Mb service, the BT speed test will tell you.

UNTIL another provided actually puts kit into an exchange the only provider
carrying the traffic is BT? TOTALLY agree that their support is crap, but you
only need it when the line goes down - and then openreach will be going out anyway?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL