[Phpwm] Broadband recomendations

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 16:03:06 UTC 2011

Andy Cowan wrote:
> We for example don't use BT for a customer if there is any alternative
> becuase OpenReach are impossible to deal with, don't communicate with
> anyone and in our experience, just outright lie when it suits them.

That is the point we are making ...

First problem, speed on the cable to the exchange. It will be some time before I
get the chance of fibre unless I lay out a LOT of money - so my main servers are
remote in a datacentre on a direct pipe - not even in this country :) It's more
economic.

If the line to the exchange is CAPPED at 2Mb then that is what you should be
charged for? Not 8Mb rates which ALL the alternate providers quoted me.

My own exchange has nothing other then BT at the exchange, and many of us are
still in that situation, so we are restricted by what is available to get OUT to
third party levels anyway? I do not believe that there is even fibre into the
exchange, so when lots of people are streaming video the data rate drops
noticeably! Who ever is providing the other end ...

The main point here is that not all exchanges are equal and while SKY can
provide a service in areas where they have their own infrastructure, once they
are outside that area prices change (upwards), and we ARE still at the whim of
BT/Openreach :( - Virgin don't even bother to quote around here ...

Even the mobile internet options are just as crap around here. Vodaphone charge
me for 3G for 2 years on the promise that it 'was coming' - it's still not
available nearly 2 years later still. The only way to get highish speed mobile
broadband is via other peoples BT hubs - but none of the ones around here have
that option enabled! ( Including mine ;) ) But at least in an emergency I can
pop 5 miles down the road and use my laptop :)

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for a service, but it has to be on the
basis that the person I am paying is PROVIDING the service! Not subbing the
important parts of it out to a third party?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL