[Phpwm] How much should I pay contractors

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Wed May 11 09:29:54 UTC 2011

On 11 May 2011, at 10:06, Jujhar Singh wrote:

> Guys I need your advice,
>
> We may have some projects coming up that I need to get extra people in to work on.
>
> How much do you think I should pay them or how much can I expect an agency to charge
> I'd need 1-2 junior or mid-level developers or 1 senior guy for about 6 months.
>
> Junior Level = bit of a noob, writes crap all over the place
> Mid level = my level of ability: ZF, Jquery, MSSQL, MySQL
> Senior Level = somebody like David or Rob Allen

Junior level -> depends how much work you want supporting them.
I interviewed someone about 18 months ago who didn't know PHP (he knew visual fox pro? and wanted to retrain) and wanted £15/hour as a contractor (via agency). Suffice to say I didn't employ him.

Mid level type person -> somewhere between £225->275/day ?

Senior level - perhaps up to £500/day? (I'm not sure I'd classify myself as senior level, there are plenty of people better than me!).

I presume cutting out an agency will result in a significant saving, but I don't know how much. Alternatively you may prefer to have the agency there for reasons of cash flow, and them handling the HR crap.

Obviously contract duration will make a difference, so I suspect people would take some sort of pay cut if it was a 6+ month contract vs 3-4 weeks.