[Phpwm] Full time front end developer or freelance?

Ed Lea edleadesign at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:17:03 UTC 2011

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Ed Lea <edleadesign at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, development tends to lie further down the process than
> design
> > so any delays are often started at the concept/design/client approval
> end.
> > It's not to do with being a designer, it's to do with that stage of
> > development. Like any professional if a date is set and parameters fixed
> > then there is no reason a designer would deliver later than any other
> > profession.
>
> I'm wondering if this implies a 'waterfall' methodology (because it
> sounds like it to me). If so, is that what's generally used to shape
> the way devs and designers interact?

In my experience there has to be some agreement on concepts and features
first and this is usually in the form of a mockup for the client/stake
holder to approve. So by this point designers have already started making
something. Tech side may already be involved, but not actually coded
anything yet. So in 80% of projects I have worked on it is more of a
'waterfall' methodology.

> I thought the alternative would be some 'agile' approach.

I don't see how a developer could start building something until the
client/stake holder has signed off on functionality which is usually
demonstrated in the form of wireframes+designs.

Of course, this is speaking from my design background - I couldn't comment
on software projects where no visual design is required.

> Getting back
> on topic, this would rely on good communication between devs and
> designers, and that might be easier if everyone was in-house...

not necessarily. my current gig is working remotely for a company in
germany. I've been doing that for 1.5 years. projects fly along because I'm
never in a meeting unless I'm over there and communication through skype is
short and to the point. I get the whole day to design with no interruptions
:) but, like I said in previous email, build a relationship and the
communication part will be much better.