[Phpwm] Zend Framework Job at London Startup

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 10:50:59 UTC 2012

David Goodwin wrote:

>> >  Perhaps they have now realised the mistake that they made using Zend at all;)
>> >  Now it needs a complete rewrite to work with Zend2 ?
>> >
>> >  ANYBODY find that Zend is a good base to work from? I've inherited a number of sites that are Zend based, but supporting them is a nightmare and so they are slowly being reworked in a more user friendly framework that also allows the customers to update their own content.
>> >
>> >  Also PIWIK has had to replace the Zend database library with a more efficient one, but it's too slow still for some functions. The Zend library DB itself is still very lacking in cross database facilities:(
> I'm not a fan of Zend_Db or Zend_View - I'd much rather Propel or Smarty instead.
>
> I'll ditto your "I've inherited a number of sites which are ZF based" which are a mess/interesting tangle of spaghetti.
>
> I've been meaning to write a blog post moaning about one in particular, but so far I've managed to bite my tongue and not say anything.

I'm still using ADOdb with Smarty2 and have a nice clean separation of style and
function. ADOdb SHOULD have been brought into the PHP core rather than the half
cocked attempt that is PDO which simply adds to the inadequacies of Zend_Db and
a number of other abstraction layers.

About 90% through making everything 'strict compliant' even though it adds
nothing to the functionality :( It had to be done simply to get around all the
agro the PHP5.4 brings to the equation! Having ignored it PHP5.3 just made the
rewrite even more cumbersome.

OH for a stable and supported PHP5.2 + ADOdb + Samarty2 ... Is there really
anything of use added in PHP5.3 and 5.4?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL