[Phpwm] Zend Framework Job at London Startup

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 12:05:26 UTC 2012

David Goodwin wrote:
>> I'm still using ADOdb with Smarty2 and have a nice clean separation of style and function. ADOdb SHOULD have been brought into the PHP core rather than the half cocked attempt that is PDO which simply adds to the inadequacies of Zend_Db and a number of other abstraction layers.
>
> Zend_Db is built on PDO. I personally like PDO - it's fast, and provides prepared statement support which is the main thing in my opinion.

ADOdb always had prepared statements and also handles the SQL abstraction
problem well. But I'm biased since I'm using Firebird which has always been a
lot faster in the more complex stuff that MySQL and Postgres added much later.
For me running PDO is actually slower than the generic Firebird driver, which is
why we use the generic driver with ZendDB anyway and also for the other
databases that PDO does not support.

Also two stage cross database commit is not something PDO can support ...

I'll bite my tongue on 'of use' in PHP5.3+ ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL