[Phpwm] Zend Framework Job at London Startup

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 13:45:22 UTC 2012

Ed Lea wrote:
>     Zend beats the hell out of Symfony 2. And that's high praise from me
>     because I hated Zend when I used it.
>
> I've found the complete opposite. Symfony2 is amazing. I have zend framework2 as
> a vendor (can't decouple individual packages like oauth) and it's the only thing
> that's given me problems, can't drop zf2 fast enough...

Having been working with bitweaver for coming on 10 years it's a lot about what
one is used to, and my problem is errors and warnings that involve reworking
third party libraries ( like ADOdb and Smarty ) simply to keep them up to date
with the current 'requirements' of PHP. I've done very little 'new' work
spending most of the time simply fire fighting to keep sites that have run for
years alive when ISP's update PHP without understanding the new configurations :(

Recent change was a vulnerability report which was pure Smarty problem in the
end ...

Zend brings in a new set of 'rules' and some recent changes are geared more to
supporting those 'improvements' rather than the majority of long time PHP
developers? Just how much work is involved moving ZF1 applications to ZF2?
Although I'm finding simply dumping the raw site into bitweaver is a lot easier
than trying to find the raw page data directly :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL