[Preston] [website] Website

Giacomo Lacava preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 2 17:33:00 2002

>>> sjohnson4@uclan.ac.uk 02/12/02 14:43:31 >>>
>Hi I went to the last plug meeting and I sort of got roped into redesignin=
g the website=20

Ok, as I said before, I'm available for php coding.=20
I successfully compiled GIMP on both my machines, so I'm also available =
for some graphic stuff, but I would like more to just provide code and =
"project management" ;). So, if you want to begin the graphic design, feel =
free to do it (please think about flexible layouts and more than one =
proposal).

Is anyone else available? come on, don't be shy ;))

I (re)propose that every mail concerning this topic should be posted here =
with a [website] tag in the subject, this way allowing discussions open to =
"casual" users and also filtered by non-interested people.

If I am right, the basic requirements lined out the last meeting were:
- "about us" section (i.e. the content of the actual website);
- some sort of user authentication;
- "hardware exchange" corner (imho the killer-section);
- mini "organiser" with meetings and events.

I would add also an updatable "links" section, where every member could =
add interesting links, divided by category (e.g. "breaking news", "linux =
installation", "networking", "cool apps", "wireless", etc).

It's already a lot of work, thus other suggestions  have to be made now or =
they will have to wait until these will be up and running.

If someone has experiences with pre-built community engines and CMS =
(php-nuke, slashdot, etc), please say which you think could do the job. I =
usually don't like to tweak that sort of things (and honestly I don't know =
much Perl), but they could save *a lot* of time.

Ok, enough for now :)

bye
Giacomo