[Preston] RE: memory

Steve Taylor preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 7 02:10:01 2002

> If I can get away with running IPCOP on the Compaq Prolinea 590
> then what I would like to do is
> use the PR166 for testing different distros. If I ramp up the RAM to say
> 64MB, that should be good enough for X shouldn't it?

Yes it will be enough for X, but not the KDE/Gnome windowmanager that the
mainstream distros use by default

> (this is what I love about
> the list, there is ALWAYS somebody who knows what you need to know)

Fortunately it isn't always me :-)

> Is IPCop memory intensive, processor intensive or would you say I/O
> intensive

IPCop itself is not anything intensive except:-

Squid (caching proxy server) can use as much RAM and HDD speed and capacity
as you can give it.
IPSec (VPN software) will require CPU resources to encrypt the data stream

> Thanks again Steve
> I have found your advice to be very useful indeed....

You're welcome. I am glad to be of assistance.

Steve