[Preston] Configuring RH7.3 as a server

Phil Edwards preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 12 09:27:04 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C2896F.62C136C0

I have just set up RH7.3 as an NFS server with Samba on a PII 233 with =
128Mb RAM and a 4.5Gb HDD and am having one or two problems which I hope =
someone can help me with.

1. Can you run Xwindows directly on a server - whenever I try it just =
crashes (Xwindows that is not the server). The book I have (RH7.2 Bible) =
keeps referring to running utilities (eg neat) in a terminal window, =
suggesting that Xwindows will run, or am I missing something here?

2. On the subject of the "neat" command, it does not appear to have been =
installed on my serever (or will not run from the bash prompt), so I =
can't actually configure any hosts. Is there a different command I need =
to use in ver 7.3 or do I have to install it from CD, in which case, how =
do I do this?

Initially, I am trying to get the server simply talking to an old Win 98 =
machine on which I have configured the TCP/IP networking, but when I get =
this working I will be using the machine primarily to run network =
installs of RH7.0 on a couple of old P133's and just generally play =
around with the networking, although later I may just reconfigure the =
machine as a web server, but that is some months down the line yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Phil

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C2896F.62C136C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have just set up RH7.3 as an NFS =
server with=20
Samba on a PII 233 with 128Mb RAM and a 4.5Gb HDD and am having one or =
two=20
problems which I hope someone can help me with.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. Can you run Xwindows directly on a =
server -=20
whenever I try it just crashes (Xwindows that is not the server). The =
book I=20
have (RH7.2 Bible) keeps referring to running utilities (eg neat) in a =
terminal=20
window, suggesting that Xwindows will run, or am I missing something=20
here?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. On the subject of the "neat" =
command, it does=20
not appear to have been installed on my serever (or will not run from =
the bash=20
prompt), so I can't actually configure any hosts. Is there a different =
command I=20
need to use in ver 7.3 or do I have to install it from CD, in which =
case, how do=20
I do this?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Initially, I am trying to get the =
server simply=20
talking to an old Win 98 machine on which I have configured the TCP/IP=20
networking, but when I get this working&nbsp;I will be using the machine =

primarily to run network installs of RH7.0 on a couple of old P133's and =
just=20
generally play around with the networking, although later I may just =
reconfigure=20
the machine as a web server, but that is some months down the line=20
yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any help will be greatly =
appreciated</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Phil</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C2896F.62C136C0--