[Preston] java for linux

Guy preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Nov 13 01:37:02 2002

Java is reasonably easy to get to grips with. It has 'C' like syntax and is
object orientated from the ground up (unlike C++ which is very inconsistent
in its application of object orientation). IMO the big deal about Java came
about in the earlier days of the Internet, before the browser war was won by
IE. Java 'applets' were executable code that could be run on any client
machine (with a Java enabled browser, of course) without the fear of
compromising security. They could not write to hard drives or return
sensitive info from your PC.

Now Java tends to be more commonly seen server-side with Java server pages
(JSP) and servlets. Having said that, it is a 'system' language and you can
write any type of program in Java.
The HSBC online bank uses JSP and servlets. Java has always been big on
security.

Sun Java is free of charge but NOT open source. :-(

Check out Bruce Eckel's (free) online book about Java
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/
--
Guy