[Preston] Debian 3.0

Guy preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Nov 18 16:22:00 2002

John,

I use Debian :-)
The first thing to point out is that Debian does not do as much auto-probing
for hardware as many Red-Hat based distros do. This does not mean that Debian
does not support your hardware! So, get root.....

Find out what kernel module you need for your network card. I have a Linksys
card and it uses the tulip driver. (But find out cos not all Linksys cards
are the same. If you still have a Redhat partition running /sbin/lsmod will
list the modules in your kernel)

Then check if the kernel knows your card is on the pci bus:
lspci -v
It should be listed.

You could try 'modprobe tulip' . Or run the 'modconf' program and look in
kernel/drivers/net for drivers and descriptions.

If you want to load the module at boot time add its name to /etc/modules
(just add the word 'tulip' or whatever the module turns out to be.)

Network scripts are (mostly) found in /etc/network/interfaces. Here you can
create settings to 'bring up' an interface at boot time. If you don't want to
do this use 'ifup eth0' or 'ifdown eth0'
Type 'man interfaces' for more information.

As for sound, the sndconfig program *is* available for Debian but it will not
be installed as default, try:
apt-get install sndconfig.

Hope this helps!
Regards,