[Preston] A new hope for Debian wannabees?

Guy preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Nov 18 22:39:00 2002

IMHO Debian is not difficult to use at all, (hell, I can do it!) in fact the
apt system for package management makes life totally simple. What tends to
put people off is:
1) The text based installer.
2) The lower emphasis on auto-detection of hardware.
BUT:
If you have already got an 'easy install' version of Linux up and running you
get practically all the information you need from sniffing around the config
files.

What I would do is this:
- get a clean floppy disk.

- save a copy of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (providing X windows version 4 is
working OK)
cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 > /floppy/XF86Config-4
(or wherever the floppy is mounted). When you come to configure X you have
all the monitor and graphics card info. (maybe print this file out)

- create a list of the modules used by the kernel as a text file:
/sbin/lsmod > /floppy/modules.txt
With this you can get non-detected hardware to work again by supplying the
correct modules again.

- create a list of the pci bus connections:
/sbin/lspci -v > /floppy/pci_list.txt
this is useful for checking for IRQ conflicts.

BTW, the standard install of Debian 3.0 uses a 2.2.20 kernel, so it has less
support for USB devices. It can easily (using APT) be upgraded to a 2.4.x
kernel.
Do not be intimidated by the text based installation, just answer 'Y' to
anything you are not sure about. Most settings can be overridden at a later
date, anyway.

Regards,
--
Guy