[Preston] A new hope for Debian wannabees?

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 19 15:11:00 2002

Hi there,

Thanks for your message.  I may well try that when I have time as I really
would like to use Debian.  I just found this graphical installer
http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/ and was wondering about using that as it is
more official than the Knoppix one.

Also, I was wondering is there any way to install sid from scratch (i.e.
without going through woody/knoppix first)?  I really need GNOME2 (as when
Gnopernicus comes out I'll have to use it) and the latest version of
Evolution, and various libraries would be nice too.

Thanks again for your tips, I will certainly carry out those steps anyway as
I should have a backup of such important info anyway!

bye just now,

matthew

P.S. Just read your other e-mail about the emu10k1 - thanks for the info on
that too.  I think I am getting close to having enough courage to try
Debian.  Its great here (lufbra uni) as we have 10Mbit network connections
to the net, so I really have no excuse :)