[Preston] some quick questions about a linux laptop

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Nov 24 17:00:00 2002

Hello there,

Thanks very much for your advice.  I've been looking on ebay for a few days
now and it looks very promising.  The ThinkPads are very good but most
of them seem to be US models, unfortunately.  The one I am currently most
interested in and am thinking of making a bid for is item 2074458745
at ebay.co.uk.

This is because I have been to the Dell UK shop and you can get spare parts
from the UK at reasonable prices.  Also, I have read
reviews and this machine has good (and expandable) battery life.  I think it
would take Linux quite well too as I have read web pages where people have
got Debian and RedHat 7.3 working fine.  I'm waiting for answers from the
seller of this machine but if all goes well I'll be strongly considering it.
If I don't get it, though, I am sure there will be more in the near future.

If I had loadsa cash I'd go and get a Dell Latitude X200 - If any of you are
considering getting a laptop this one looks very good (it has FireWire and
is very light.  Strangely no S-video out, though).

I was wondering - when I get a machine, how do I make it and my desktop talk
to each other (for file transfer)?

Thanks again for your help, bye just now,

matthew