[Preston] Linux on a 486

Stephen Taylforth preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 16 16:32:01 2002

You'd probably be better running one of the 486s as a server (without x-wi=
n) and saving the 233 as a workstation=2E In my experience linux without x=
 windows will run an any old piece of junk but putting a gui on even a qui=
te high end machine can make it creak under the load=2E  Your best chance =
is finding a really early copy of linux which was around when the machines=
 first saw light of day (circa 94 /95 from the spec) but I can't suggest a=
nything that old=2E

You shouldn't have any trouble making a 486 into a firewall / router or a =
mail server providing you don't expect to run a gui or handle a lot of tra=
ffic=2E You should manage this with a quite modern linux provided it will =
run on a 486

My experience with firewalls is with later versions of linux with a 2=2E4 =
kernal and iptables=2E I have set up back office boxes with early pentiums=
 (90 mhz with 8meg) and they work fine provided you don't expect too much=2E=
 (they are much happier with 16 mb)

I think that with such old machines you'd better get your hand in with the=
 command line=2E (or retire them gracefully=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E)

Stephen Taylforth

IT Technician Ribblesdale School Clitheroe

>I've just inherited a small number of 486 machines and want to play aroun=
>with networking them=2E I plan to set up a server using a PII 233 and Red=
 Hat
>7=2E3 and want initially to play around with the 486's as work stations, =
but
>maybe later use one as a firewall / router and one as a mail server=2E
>
>Can anyone advise on the best version of Linux to use on these machines, =

>bearing in mind they are quite low spec:
>  a=2E=2E 486 DX2 66 / DX2 50
>  b=2E=2E 340 / 540Mb HDD
>  c=2E=2E 8 / 16 MB RAM
>  d=2E=2E Thin net ethernet cards (although I do have some 10 base T card=
s so I
>may change them later)
>  e=2E=2E No CD Drive (so I'll have to do a network install, but I think =
I'm OK