[Preston] Help!

Adrian Hodgson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 30 20:05:07 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Blundell" <alanblundell@ntlworld.com>
To: <preston@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 8:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Preston] Help!

> Can you use 'ping' from the command line to reach another computer?
>
> If networking is set up correctly
>
> ping 127.0.0.1 should work ok (same PC)
> ping 216.239.51.100 (one of Google's servers) should also work
>
> If these both work, your network setup is ok, so try
>
> ping google.com
>
> If this doesn't work, your TCPIP setup is ok but you have a DNS problem.
>   If it does work, that will be the time to think more about proxy
> servers, etc.
>
> Good luck!
> Alan

I can ping another computer on the network OK.

I have changed the system as best I can back to its original set-up.

What the system will not do is dial the ISP and connect.  The modem will not
pick up the line and do any dialling although I do notice the system
"talking to it".
Cheers Adrian.

http://www.aphtrading.co.uk/pages/apage1.htm    Weekend Workshop
http://www.aphtrading.co.uk/pages/apage2.htm    Home made propane Foundry