[Preston] Help!

Alan Blundell preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 29 20:32:00 2002

Can you use 'ping' from the command line to reach another computer?

If networking is set up correctly

ping 127.0.0.1 	should work ok (same PC)
ping 216.239.51.100 (one of Google's servers) should also work

If these both work, your network setup is ok, so try

ping google.com

If this doesn't work, your TCPIP setup is ok but you have a DNS problem.
  If it does work, that will be the time to think more about proxy
servers, etc.

Good luck!
Alan