[Preston] Promise RAID

Phil Robinson (PLUG) phil at prestonlinux.com
Sun Dec 14 11:57:07 GMT 2003

Hi,

Has anybody ever had any problems getting Promise RAID drivers to install
under Linux ? I have to do a Red Hat 7.2 install. I have tried  with two
different copies, one is a heavily customised version of Red Hat from a
company called VoiceGenie and the is other is a straight copy of Red Hat
7.2. I've also tried with various versions of the driver.

They all seem to do the same thing. The install goes fine, I enter some
kernel parameters so that the RAID drives can be used, it installs, asks me
for my driver disk, copies the drivers off the floppy, finishes the install
then I reboot and I get a kernel panic because it can not find the root
partition on the RAID drive.

The system is starting to boot and during the start-up messages I can see
that it has accepted the new memory address and IRQ for the drives. I've not
come across this before, anyone have any clues what's happening?

The whole thing is hosted in a data centre in Leeds, just to make life
really easy ;-) I've been up there twice this week already so I'm going to
have to try and resolve this one with their staff.

Cheers

Phil Robinson

- Preston & Lancashire Linux User Group -
- http://www.prestonlinux.com phil at prestonlinux.com -