[Preston] USB networking

Richard Revis preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 11 18:54:01 2003

I am trying to connect my iPaq (running familiar) to my desktop (running
Gentoo Linux, 2.4.19-gentoo-r10).

Usbnet loads fime with insmod (or modprobe) however no new device appears
in ifconfig -a and when I conect the iPaq to the USB bus nothing happens
except an error in dmesg.

Here is the output of dmsg (after loading the module + previous USB info).

<begin>

peu@elrsr-1 peu $ dmesg

<snip>

usb.c: registered new driver hub
uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v1.1
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xe000, IRQ 12
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xe400, IRQ 12
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb.c: registered new driver usb_mouse
usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
usb.c: registered new driver rio500
rio500.c: v1.1:USB Rio 500 driver
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

<snip>

usb.c: registered new driver usbnet
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 3
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 4
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)

<end>

Everything is compiled directly into the kernel except usbnet.o which has
been compiled as a module. Any suggestions as to a fix appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

- --
Richard Revis
Outgoing e-mail is signed with my public PGP key
You may obtain a copy of my key at http://key.revis.org